Clay and Glass 2016 and on the move...



Ceramics: Lana Wilson, Jenni Ward, Gregory Roberts, Ashley Kim, Bill Geisinger, Wyatt Amends and (: me :)
Glass: Ellen Blakeley, Candice Gawne,  Reddy Lieb, Nanci Schrieber-Smith, Studio Bel Vetro, Matthew Szösa


My studio is all packed up and heading north. So far, this unpredictable year of the Monkey, has had some crazy days, weeks and months.  It is hard to keep a house in order, work on work and keep calm.  Things (you know, those this 'n that things) kept popping up making confetti of my need to-do lists.  It is surprising how much one can do without little sleep.  Maybe not perfect, maybe not on the mark, but done.  We are selling and moving finally.  This house looks so brand spanking new and clean it makes my eyes water. I mean, shine.  

The lilac I planted 15 years ago finally bloomed.  It never bloomed in all those years.  I never had the heart to take it out. Every year its leaves would unfurl with dark green perfection. It made the nearby butterfly bush's leaves looked very shabby. In all honesty, the leaves were prone to curl and shed. Leaving bare twigs and branches. Looking very unattractive. That said, this butterfly bush without shame and hesitance, shot out huge majestic purple blooms every year. I could not bear to uproot that tattered butterfly bush, not because of its magnificent blooms, but because it reminded me that beauty waits...




I planted that lilac the year a family member took her life. And this year, on the anniversary of her death, I dreamed of her.  We walked down to the beach and she wanted to drink the sea water. I knew she was here for her mother.  I woke and felt uneasy.  Later we got an early morning phone call and knew.  Two days later I noticed the lilac buds. 

Comments

  1. Nature has a way of knowing and comforting, sorry for your loss, I planted a lilac this year less than a foot tall, we shall see. where are you going with your studio ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. We are moving permanently to our natural home we built just north of Ft. Bragg.

      Delete
    2. I didn't realize your place was north of Ft. Bragg, good luck with the move, we almost bought a little cottage up north on the coast. We loved to go to the campground at Patrick's Point, supposedly you can gather agates down on the beach.

      Delete
    3. Agates and moonstones...the way down to the pebble Beach is quite a hike. We are not that far north. Patrick's is north of the lost coast and we are at the south end.

      Delete
  2. I am sure it is with bittersweet excitement that you leave your home. It's so difficult to look back at a place you are leaving - all those memories -- but the home you built is amazing and must call to you.
    I am sorry for your loss - but isn't it wonderful that lilac bush reminded you that life goes on -- and in such a beautiful way.
    Enjoy nesting in your permanent home - re-building your creative space. Looking forward to what emerges.
    Great line-up of artists for your show by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy.
      Yes, it is a great line-up ;) The curators and gallery manager do a fantastic job installing and promoting the exhibit, too.
      Moving between two homes has played havoc on my creative process and daily rituals. It will help to do a little "nesting."

      Delete
  3. Must be the year for moves, and yes, this year feels unpredictable, and unsettling... for me.

    Wishing you all the very best with your move, new beginnings, and future exhibitions.
    Always lovely to return here to view your beautiful work. It's been too long for me.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you, Vicki. It is a very surreal year. Bumpy start...but the wild flowers this year are stunning...beauty waits...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts